Office of Research & Sponsored Programs
Office of Research & Sponsored Programs
Howard Administration Building
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs will be operating virtually during the hours of 8:30 - 5:00 for the Spring 2021 semester. We may not be on campus, but we are ready and happy to meet with you virtually or by phone, and we can arrange face-to-face meetings if necessary and with advance notice.
For one-on-one personalized assistance, please contact us to make an appointment during our office hours. If you are unable to meet during these times, please let us know and we will work around your schedule!
Grants and Contracts, Intellectual Property, EPIC: Send us an appointment request at email@example.com
Research Compliance: questions related to resuming in-person research and preparing to submit an IRB/IACUC proposal. Send us an appointment request: firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) is to advance JU’s engagement in research, scholarship, and innovation.
The ORSP partners with members of the JU community in the pursuit and administration of funding for sponsored programs to expand knowledge, enhance teaching and service activities, direct innovative projects and research, and institute meaningful and progressive change. The office oversees a variety of functional areas, including research compliance, pre-award and non-financial post-award. It ensures activities align to the standards of conduct expected by federal, state and local governing bodies, and those that represent the values of JU.
Key External Deadlines
- NIH Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA): February 25, June 25, and October 25.
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER): New deadline to be announced by NSF.
- NSF Facilitating Research at Primarily Undergraduate Institutions: Accepted anytime.
About the Office
What does “Research and Sponsored Programs” include?
- All research, scholarship, education, public service and creative activity, regardless of discipline.
- All funds applied for and/or awarded from outside the University as a Grant or a Contract or other Sponsored Agreement.
What does the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs do?
- Reporting to the Provost, the ORSP serves every faculty member in every academic discipline and research area.
- The Office provides support in pre-award, limited non-financial post-award, technology transfer, and compliance oversight.
The ORSP is:
- The only administrative unit authorized by the University to review and submit funding proposals, and negotiate the terms of grant and contract awards made to the institution. Any award made to the University may only be accepted by the President, Provost or Chief Financial Officer.
- The designated administrative unit to JU's Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). The committees are charged with ensuring that research conducted at the University follows the requirements and guidelines set forth by federal, state and local governments for the protection of human subjects and the ethical use of animals.
Please note: For planning purposes, be advised that the ORSP does not submit proposals on weekends, holidays, or after 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Further, all proposals for external funding, regardless of dollar amount, must:
- Be reviewed by the ORSP a minimum of 5 days before the due date.
- Have institutional approval prior to being submitted to a funding agency.
JU reserves the right to reject an award if the project has not been properly routed and vetted by Administration prior to its submission.
Recent Contract & Grant Awardees
$5,000 Jessie Ball DuPont Fund
Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences
Dr. Roberta Christopher, Assistant Professor of Nursing
Northeast Healthy Start Coalition $18,960
Dr. Lila de Tantillo, Assistant Professor of Nursing
RJWF (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation) Alumni Network Activation Fund $6,832
Riverside Hospital Foundation $90,000
Dr. Heather Hausenblas, Professor of Kinesiology
Dr. David Hooper, Assistant Professor of Kinesiology
Liteboxer Technologies Inc. $16,508
Dr. Natalie Indelicato, Assistant Professor of Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Association of Child and Adolescent Counseling $350
Dr. Kathleen Kavanagh, Assistant Professor and Director of Simulation Training and Applied Research
Home Instead Senior Care $1,750
Healthcare Simulation Center $15,700
Dr. Sawsan Tabbaa, Clinical Associate Professor of Orthodontics
Align Technologies, $24,977
Dr. Isil Aras, Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthodontics
American Association of Orthodontists Foundation $20,000
Dr. Laurie Buschini, Clinical Assistant Professor of Nursing
The Chatlos Foundation, $7,500
Dr. Hilary Morgan, Director of Graduate Nursing Programs and Professor of Nursing
Health Resources & Services Administration, $187,682
College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. John Enz, Professor of Biology
U.S. Department of the Interior $51,577
Dr. Gerry Pinto, Associate Research Scientist
City of Jacksonville $311,863
Dr. Lena Schulze, Biology & Marine Science Assistant Professor
Florida State University $11,858
Dr. Colleen Wilson, School of Education
The Joy McCann Foundation $14,725
Dr. Mini Zeng, Associate Professor of Computer Science
National Science Foundation $943,266
Marine Science Institute
Dr. Quinton White, Professor of Economics and Public Policy
Groundwork Jacksonville $18,036
Public Policy Institute
Dr. Rody Borg, Professor of Economics and Public Policy
Jacksonville Civic Counsel $26,680
New Palm Coast Location Gets Green Light
Jacksonville University President Tim Cost and Palm Coast Mayor Milissa Holland announced today, Dec. 15, 2020, that Jacksonville University is partnering with the City of Palm Coast, Fla., to build a Palm Coast location and bring in-demand healthcare graduate …