Major in Information Systems
This major is no longer offered, but you may be interested in the Computing Science major.
Computing has strong connections to other disciplines. Many problems in science, engineering, health care, business and other areas can be solved effectively with computers, but finding a solution requires both computer expertise and knowledge of the particular application domain. A major in Information Systems is designed to meet that need.
Information Systems is an interdisciplinary major that enables students to combine computer science courses with other disciplines. The major is designed to provide students with a strong academic background in computing within the context of an increasingly technology-driven society. The focus of the major is on practical applications of technology to support different environments. A number of concentrations or tracks were developed in collaboration with faculty in other areas. Students plan, coordinate, direct and implement computer systems and computer related activities in areas they identify to concentrate their additional studies.
The program will enable students to attain, by the time of graduation:
- An ability to apply knowledge of computing appropriate to the discipline.
- An ability to analyze a problem, as well as identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- An ability to design, implement and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs.
- An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal.
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society.
- Recognition of the need for an ability to engage in continuing professional development.
- An ability to use current techniques, skills and tools necessary for computing practice.
- An understanding of processes that support the delivery and management of information systems within a specific application environment.